Get in touch for full role descriptions and details of the Omega Volunteer Policy and recruitment process.
Volunteer Befriender Responsibilities:
- make regular phone calls to members
- report any concerns to the Chatterbox Co-ordinator
- submit monthly call sheets
- attend regular conference call meetings with other telephone befrienders
- participate in training sessions
- establish and maintain boundaries
- follow project policies and procedures
- participate in project evaluation
- respect confidentiality
Induction & Training:
The Chatterbox Co-ordinator will keep in contact provide ongoing training
As a volunteer befriender you will be helping to make a real difference by helping to develop trusting meaningful relationships. Omega Chatterbox Befrienders have:
- excellent communication and listening skills
- a clear speaking voice, essential to being understood and access to a telephone
- ability to work independently and an awareness of when to seek advice
- ability to complete basic written records
No specific skills/qualifications or experience needed as training will be given.
You will you benefit by:
- being part of a successful team
- enhancing the lives of socially isolated people
- meeting and working new people
- acquiring new skills
About Omega Chatterbox:
Omega works with family care-givers, people nearing the end of life, the bereaved, socially isolated individuals, the frail and the elderly. Chatterbox provides:
- a friendly, listening ear
- an opportunity to enjoy a regular telephone conversation with an Omega befriender
- a means to reduce social isolation
- an opportunity to reduce loneliness
- a link with various sources of help and information
Who is the Omega Chatterbox Service for?
There will be a time when most of us will need a little extra companionship. Even those with strong family ties and a close circle of friends can sometimes feel totally alone or in danger of becoming socially isolated. The Omega Chatterbox Service provides a solution to anyone who would benefit from having someone to talk to, someone willing to listen, someone neutral, but someone who understands that life is not always easy. The Chatterbox Befriending Service is flexible and aimed at anyone who feels they might benefit including those who:
- suffer from social isolation or at risk of becoming socially isolated
- lack social contact
- have a care-giving role
- suffer ill health or disability
- are lonely and/or frail
Omega Information and Resources Volunteer
We are looking for well organised, intelligent volunteers with research and investigative skills. Omega beneficiaries need a wide range of accessible, up to date information. This is an opportunity to do some interesting work which will address the information and resource needs of a deserving group of beneficiaries including unpaid care-givers and their families, the bereaved and people who are socially isolated or who are at risk of becoming socially isolated. You will need:
- IT Skills
- A good standard of written English
- Research skills
- Good general knowledge
- A commitment to life-long learning
Community Engagement Volunteer
Do you have strong people skills and an ability to quickly inspire confidence? We are looking for special people to help us stay in touch with beneficiaries, especially those without access to a computer. You will work from our London House office, from home or in the community and promote a range of events and activities. Please contact Tom Memery by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) for a copy of the full Role Description.
Omega Outreach Volunteers
Can you help to recruit and support an informal group of carers and former carers in your area? Omega is seeking capable individuals with the ability to engage with busy people with caring responsibilities, the bereaved, socially isolated individuals, and the frail elderly. We set out to find hidden beneficiaries, provide them with one-to-one support and encourage them to come together to relax, receive information, help each other out, and to benefit from facilitated group sessions. Although there is no guarantee, this opportunity may develop into paid work in due course. If you have good leadership skills, a friendly, outgoing personality and want to make an impact in your community, we’d like to hear from you. We can pay travel and lunch expenses.
Omega Fundraising Volunteers
Do you want an opportunity to demonstrate that you can make things happen? Do you have what it takes to join the Omega High Impact Funding Activity Team? Can you help us to meet our target to raise £15,000 in 6 months? We are looking for new team members, willing to devote around 7 voluntary hours each week to help Omega develop this interesting new initiative. Previous fundraising experience is useful, but not essential. If you have the following skills we would like to hear from you:
- Good standard of written English
- An interest in Marketing or PR
- Research skills
- Keen proofreading skills
- IT skills
Omega Social Fundraising Volunteers
Omega is looking for enthusiastic volunteers to join their Sharing the Caring Appeal Team. Your involvement will help launch and develop this new national initiative. The money raised will be used to support unpaid carers, former carers and the bereaved. Working alongside colleagues you will:
- Organise lively fundraising activities and events
- Raise awareness of Omega’s work
- Recruit additional fundraising volunteers and supporters
Previous fundraising experience is useful, but not essential. If you have the following skills please get in touch. Are you:
- Someone who enjoys planning, organising and making things happen?
- Self-confident, with good people skills?
- Self-motivated but also able to work within an enthusiastic team?
- Creative and open to new ideas?
- Someone who is compassionate, thoughtful and has a sense of fun?
An interest in social networking technology might also prove useful. Leadership opportunities are also available. Volunteers are needed to work in the following areas: Shropshire, Staffordshire, Dudley, Wolverhampton, Sandwell, Solihull and Powys. Interviews will be held locally. We will obtain a CRB certificate in respect of each successful applicant. We warmly welcome applications from all sections of the community regardless of age, race or religion. We can pay travel and lunch expenses.
Omega Administration, Development and IT Volunteers
Omega is seeking more bright, enthusiastic volunteers to help with a variety of research, administrative and IT duties. We are looking for colleagues who are comfortable working with limited supervision and who are able to use a wide range of computer software packages. We pay travel and lunch expenses.
Omega will reimburse reasonable travel expenses and pay a small subsistence and lunch allowance to volunteers working for over 5 hours.